Shower room - My House Extension

A one storey extension
Go to content
Shower room
Thursday, 21st June: Before I can start the electrics and plumbing I need to build the stud wall between the utility room and the shower room so I made a start today.

The stud wall will have a door and support the heated towel rail.
Saturday, 23rd June: I've used 38 x70mm batons on the back wall of the extension as it needs to hide the 22mm mains water feed.

I drilled holes to pass the 15mm pipe through the batons.

The plasterboard will be nailed to these batons.
Monday, 25th June: I moved the outside stable door from its old position to the extension. As it now hinged on the opposite side, I have to holes to fill!
Thursday 18th June: I've concreted the large and small window lintels and concreted around the door. This seemed to take most of the morning for some reason.
I battoned the other two walls in the shower room this morning so I now ready to add the moisture resistant plaster board.
Saturday, 30th June: I started to dry line the walls in the shower room today using green moister resistant plasterboard.

I did around the edge of the small window first.
I marked the position of the vertical battons at the top and used a plumb line to mark its position down to the floor.
This is the first panel to go up...
Then the second panel...

I needed to cut holes for the shower water feed and power cable.
Then the third panel around the small window...
Sunday, 1st July: I plaster boarded the stud wall behind the radiator.
I used 12.5mm MDF behind the sink. As there were cut-outs for the waste and water pipes this made it stronger. I also plan to make the bottom panel removable so that I can get to the pipes.
Monday, 2nd July: The day started with yet another trip to B&Q to pick up some more sheets of plasterboard.

I finished plasterboarding the shower room and started to fill the 'holes' from my less than perfect placement.

One tip - put up the ceiling before doing the walls - it's much easier (I forgot).
This is the other side of the room.

I had to use 100mm screws to hold this up as they had to go through the plasterboard and the insulation before hitting the joists.
Monday, 9th July: Today was an interesting day; a bit of plumbing, a bit of electrics, a bit of painting and a bit of woodwork.

I've fitted the door frame...
...and the architrave around the door.

I couldn't get any bull-nosed architrave to match the skirting board so I had to cut some lengths of skirting board down to 60mm and use that.
Here is the skirting board - not in place as I am going to have some wooden cladding on the bottom half of the wall.
Here is the skirting board on the opposite side of the door.

The safety earth wire will be connected to the radiator.
I gave the ceiling its first coat of white paint!
Copyright: Chris Gare 2007 - 2018
Back to content