Shower room floor - My House Extension

A one storey extension
Go to content
Shower room floor
Saturday, 7th July: I started to tile the shower room floor today.

The first task was to sand down the floor where it was high around the shower trap channel. I have to admit that putting channels in the floor makes the job of making it flat 'challenging'!
I bought some self-levelling floor cement but, as it turned out, I didn't need to use it - perhaps I should put it on eBay!

Once mixed to the consistency of a milkshake, this is a liquid that fills hollows automatically.
I sealed the screed concrete with PVA sealer. This helps the tile adhesive stick better.
I needed to cut 30mm off the shower waste pipe but it all fits together now!
I covered the shower waste channel with two pieces of 16 gauge steel sheet.
I was really pleased that I invested in a diamond tile cutter as would have proved near impossible to cut the 13" floor tiles without it.

It's cheaper to buy one than to hire one for a couple of days.
I started from the middle by laying out the tiles to see the best way to place them.

I decided to centre the tiles around the door as this left with 1/3 of a tile all round the edge of the room.
I started laying whole tiles from the centre.
I cemented down all the whole tiles and left them dry for a few hours.
While waiting I I tiled the main window sill.
There is a trick to cutting edge tiles to the correct size.

Lay the tile to be cut exactly on top of the tile next to the space you want to fill with a cut tile.

Lay another full tile up against the wall (leaving a gap of two tile spacings near the wall.

Mark a line with a pencil on the sandwiched tile and cut it.
The cut tile now fits perfectly!
I've now completely tiled the floor and I just need to wait for it to dry for 24 hours before grouting using a grey water resistant grout.
Sunday, 8th July: I bought some light grey waterproof grouting and grouted the floor.
I temporarily placed the toilet and the shower tray.

The next job could be to tile the wall or fit the door.
I painted the south end gable to match the rest of the house.
Copyright: Chris Gare 2007 - 2018
Back to content