Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


#3 - And more building the walls!
 
 

Thursday, 17th May: The weather was awful until around 11 a.m. - a mixture of drizzle and rain. However, wonders will never cease and it cleared up for the rest of the day and everything started to dry out.

I managed to get a good number of rows done!

The north end of the main wall.
The south end of the main wall.
The wall around the window - every thing seems to fit!

I did need to cut a rebate in the blocks to accommodate a full brick length - as I did the with the door.

I reckon another pair of corner builds tomorrow will being me to the top of the window.

I do like B&Q! They gave me an extra 25% of bricks because they have had complaints from some that a number broke - good on 'em! I have a trade account and it's great - free delivery and 60 days credit! What else could you ask for from a supplier?

Friday, 18th May: After the gas men left I built the corners up to the level of the top of the window. Here is the north part of the main wall.
Here is the south part of the main wall.
The south wall...
This is a seriously high wall!

No wonder my estimates of the number of brick I would require was considerably out!

I will in-fill the corners tomorrow assuming the weather is good. I can then think about how I will build the top of the window.

Saturday, 19th May: I've now built up to what I believe to be the top of the wall - maybe I need one more row.

This is the north side of the main wall.


This is the south side of the main wall.



Tomorrow I need to complete the south wall. I also bought a 2100mm lintel for the main window.

I will run out of bricks and a visit to B&Q elicits the response - "We are out of stock and have a problem with our suppliers!" I probably only need another 50 bricks.

Sunday, 20th May: I finished the south wall today and incorporated the small window built here.
I decided to only inset the small window by half a brick as it is more in keeping with the window's size. It was a bit awkward to fit as it straddles the cavity.

The rendering starts at this level so I will finish round the window with brick and use blocks for the rest of the wall.

Next task is to finish the wall by bricking above the two windows and finishing the door - on the next page!

Back to home