Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


#2 - More building the wall
 
 

Thursday, 10th May: I got up early because the weather forecast was for rain at midday.

Managed to build up the corners between showers.

I'm especially pleased with this corner as everything lined up just about perfectly as you can see.
This is the corner after grouting and cleaning.
I managed to nearly complete the other corner but the weather stopped me in the afternoon.

The Dritherm insulation arrived today - perfect timing!


Friday, 11th May: I achieved four or five rows of bricks and have started to build the wall next to the door.

Saturday, 12th May: It's been raining on and off all afternoon like yesterday so I stopped working at lunchtime. I hope the weather is going to be a bit better tomorrow.

I need to start inserting the insulation tomorrow.

I've taken the face brick wall and inside block wall up to the level of the window. There is plenty of room to insert the insulation. At the highest part of the wall it is now at shoulder height.

Sunday, 13th May: Another day of rain but the BBC weather forecast has been accurate every day this week when it said it would start raining about midday.

I got out of bed early @ 07:00 and got 4 hours of brick laying under the belt before the rain started.
I now have the wall up to window height all round.



I will insert the insulation tomorrow and start building the window sill - subject to weather of course!

Monday, 14th May: I cut and bolstered a ledge in the inside block wall to hold one end of the sill bricks.
The sill bricks will sit like this and be eventually covered by floor tiles at a small angle so water can drain off.


The 85mm cavity slab insulation.
I've now inserted the 85mm Dritherm insulation below the window.
It rained heavily just as I started to lay the window sill bricks. I won't get much more done today I think.
This is how the sill be finished off.
Tuesday, 15th May: The weather was not quite so bad today so I decided to concentrate on block work and managed to get up to the level of the top of the window.

By the look of it, I'll just need one more row of blocks for the long wall.


This is the south wall with the gap left for the small window.

I built either side of the window independently, but with luck the laser showed that the two wall were within 2 /3 mm.

I think it is back to bricklaying now to bring the outer wall up to the level of the bricks. I'll have to insert the insulation first!

The approximate line of the roof can be seen with the three bricks on top of the window.

This is more than I thought and gives me greater flexibility with the roof line.


Wednesday, 16th May: I did two corners today. This is the south end of the main wall of the extension.
This is the south facing wall.
This is the north part of the main wall.

Tomorrow I will in-fill and this will take me within five rows of the top of the wall.


Back to home