Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Finishing the windows
 
 

Tuesday, 21st August: Well, my biggest cock up throughout the whole of the extension build happened today.

I went to pick up my double glazing units and found them to be the wrong size.

I had written down 609mm rather than 909mm. I've no idea how this happened as I checked all three windows and wrote the sizes down on a piece of paper at the time.

What a pain!

Oh yes, I've ordered some more. This mess cost me 100...


Monday, 3rd September: I picked up the double glazing units today and wonder upon wonder they actually fitted this time! Phew!


I will fix them in place with beading probably tomorrow.
This is how a complete window looks.

It doesn't two minutes since I started building the windows from bits of wood...
Tuesday, 4th September: I fixed the double glazing units in place using some beading nailed to the frame.


It all looks pretty much as I planned it back in March.

Just some more painting to do!


Wednesday, 5th September: More painting today and I fitted the window door furniture.



Thursday, 6th September: I painted the soffit boards white today.



And... I painted the outside of the window black.



Monday, 10th September:
I fitted a white Venetian blind on the large window

Back to home