Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Utility Room Floor
 
 

Thursday, 16th August: I sanded the floor today with a hired diamond concrete sander to remove several 'lumps' on the floor.

I resealed those area with PVA.


.
I mixed and laid the floor levelling compound. This comes in powder form and you have to mix 4 parts compound to 1 part water. This makes creamy consistency that has to be trowelled out in 10 minutes maximum before it begins to set.

I never used this before, but the floor does look flat...
This is the floor half dry and I think you can see that it looks quite flat in the light from the window. It's hopefully ready for the floor tiles which I will buy tomorrow.
Sunday 19th August: The levelling compound is now dry and using a piece of wood the floor looks to be pretty flat.


I've bought the tiles and laid them out to see what they look like.


Monday, 20th August: I concreted the drain inspection cover today. The first part was to bring the level of the cover up to the floor level. I havn't concreted it in place as the final height adjustment will be done after I have laid the floor tiles.
The next frame was to fill in the large gaps around the edge of the cover...
.
At least the step fitted after I cut the piece of oak down!

 


Wednesday, 22nd August: I started laying the utility room floor tiles today.

Things are going a little slower now as I'm doing some other things!

I should be able to finish much of the floor tomorrow with a fair wind behind me!


Thursday, 23rd August: I carried on tiling the floor this morning...
And, I've now reached the bit I wasn't looking forward to - the inspection cover.

I rested the cover frame on a few pieces of tiles so the top is about level with the final floor lever (the cover has still not been finally cemented into place.

I aligned the edge of the cover with the edge of the final row of cemented tiles on the right.
I cut all the tiles around the cover - but not cemented them in place.

I surrounded these cut tiles with full cemented ones.

After the cement is set tomorrow I will be able to cement the cover in place so that the top is at the right level. I will also be able to cement the edging tiles as well.

If you do one step at a time it's not a too difficult job.
Friday, 24th August: I cemented the inspection cover frame in place using a a length of wood to make sure it was the right height.


I found the double seal inspection cover...
and filled it with concrete to an appropriate depth for inserting tiles.



I grouted half the floor that is finished.


I placed the inspection cover in place and screwed it down.

No more drain smells in the extension - I hope!

Tomorrow I will cut the tiles for the cover (they are the bits I cut out of the edging tiles.

p.s. it is pure luck that the tiles are equidistant in the cover.
Sunday, 26th August: Another cock up!

I carefully cut the tiles for the inspection cover and then discovered I had not aligned the tile edges in the horizontal axis - doh!


I got it right this time...
Monday, 27th August: I grouted the floor including the inspection cover.


It doesn't look too bad, but I may have to take the central tile out as it seems to have a loose corner.
I used MDF to build the sides to the step and tiled around the edge.
Wednesday, 29th August: I've never been very happy with the back door step so I knocked it out today and started redoing it.

I will use quarry tiles on top of the bricks and then I can finish laying the utility room floor tiles.

 


Thursday, 30th August: I picked up the quarry tiles this morning and mixed some sloppy concrete.


This is the result and I must say I'm pleased with the result compared to how it was before.



Friday 31st August: I finished tiling the utility room floor today and skirting on the outside wall.




I also finished the skirting around the step...



Well, tomorrow is exactly five months since I started tearing down the old outside toilet and started  the project. I have just about finished the construction at long last! I still need to finish the door to the kitchen and paint the utility room but they are relatively straightforward tasks.

Hooray. Life can begin again!

You can see the ongoing painting activities on the 'utility walls' page.

Back to home