Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Tiling the shower room floor
 
 

Saturday, 7th July: I started to tile the shower room floor today.

The first task was to sand down the floor where it was high around the shower trap channel. I have to admit that putting channels in the floor makes the job of making it flat 'challenging'!


I bought some self-levelling floor cement but, as it turned out, I didn't need to use it - perhaps I should put it on eBay!

Once mixed to the consistency of a milkshake, this is a liquid that fills hollows automatically.

 


I sealed the screed concrete with PVA sealer. This helps the tile adhesive stick better.

 


I needed to cut 30mm off the shower waste pipe but it all fits together now!


I covered the shower waste channel with two pieces of 16 gauge steel sheet.

 


I was really pleased that I invested in a diamond tile cutter as would have proved near impossible to cut the 13" floor tiles without it.

It's cheaper to buy one than to hire one for a couple of days.
I started from the middle by laying out the tiles to see the best way to place them.

I decided to centre the tiles around the door as this left with 1/3 of a tile all round the edge of the room.

 


I started laying whole tiles from the centre.
I cemented down all the whole tiles and left them dry for a few hours.


While waiting I I tiled the main window sill.


There is a trick to cutting edge tiles to the correct size.

Lay the tile to be cut exactly on top of the tile next to the space you want to fill with a cut tile.

Lay another full tile up against the wall (leaving a gap of two tile spacings near the wall.

Mark a line with a pencil on the sandwiched tile and cut it.
The cut tile now fits perfectly!


I've now completely tiled the floor and I just need to wait for it to dry for 24 hours before grouting using a grey water resistant grout.


Sunday, 8th July: I bought some light grey waterproof grouting and grouted the floor.


I temporarily placed the toilet and the shower tray.

The next job could be to tile the wall or fit the door.


I painted the south end gable to match the rest of the house.


Back to home