Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Plumbing the extension
 
 

Wednesday, 13th June: I'm now starting to think about plumbing the extension. I've bought some in-screed channelling that I will use to feed around two 15mm copper central heating pipes to two radiators.

As they are 50mm deep, I will place 10mm wood spacers below them to bring the tops of the channelling flush with the surface of the screed.

 

 

 

 

 

Friday, 22nd June: I temporarily fitted the towel radiator in the shower room after  fitted noggins at the right height.


This is where the shower will go.


And the toilet...

Tomorrow I will probably start the plumbing.
Saturday, 23rd June: The skip company came and picked up the skip. At long last all the debris is gone and the garden is beginning to resemble normality.


I've started positioning the plumbing before I do any soldering. It's always best to do this first as I have found out in the past!

This is will be the cold water feed to the shower and, going off to the right to feed the cistern, sink and washing machine (I need to shorten the 22mm mains feed pipe yet).


I positioned the sink on the wall and placed the waste pipe.

The pipe uses uses a separate feed into the main drain pipe. The pipe at the lower right-hand side will eventually be connected to the washing machine.


This the radiator in the utility room - I've started to lay out the pipes that will be connected to the house's central heating system.


This is the pipe layout around the heated towel rail. I've used a cross-over connector to jump the second pipe.

Tomorrow I will start by finishing and soldering the cold water pipes.


Sunday, 24th June: I always use brass pipe connectors that are pre-soldered inside the joint as I've always found these to create reliable connections.

All else you need is a tin of flux, some wire wool to clean the pipe ends and a gas blow torch.


I spent the day plumbing - and swearing!

Here is the modified mains water feed feeding 15mm pipes to the shower and cistern / washing bowl.


The washing bowl is now working except for the hot water feed from the kitchen.

No leaks!


This is the central heating plumbing all soldered to the towel heating rail .


The central heating pipes feed the utility room radiator.

Tomorrow I will connect  the heating pipes to the house system and hope there are no leaks.
Monday, 25th June: I connected the new extension radiators to the existing house central heating. Refilled the system and crossed my fingers that I would have no leaks.

Great! It all works fine and I now have a heated extension.


Thursday 18th June: I don't seem to have achieved much to day as I have been doing a number of small jobs and the day has flown by. I didn't work on the extension yesterday.

I've moved the pipe and it's now in the correct position for the shower unit. I've also added a couple of battons to screw the shower  to.


I've extended the cold pipe into the utility room and added the hot water pipe which I need to connect through to the kitchen.


Friday, 29th June: I cut the covers for the in-screed pipe channels from 10mm thick board.

Yep! I have a leak, fortunately not from a soldered joint.


Friday, 29th June: I wasn't happy with the sink waste feed as it would be awkward to get to once I had plaster boarded, so I decided to turn it by 90 degrees.

That's pretty much all the plumbing completed now!
Monday, 9th July: No it isn't!

Today was an interesting day; a bit of plumbing, a bit of electrics, a bit of painting and a bit of woodwork.

I started to plan the hot water pipe that feeds the basin from the kitchen.

There is going to be lots of bends on this run!


Tuesday, 10th July: I soldered the hot water pipe from the shower room to the kitchen.

I had a few leak problems but there are 15 elbow joints - that's my excuse anyway...

I can now wash in warm water!
Back to home