Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Finishing the gables
 
 



 

I managed to get hold of some 25mm treated waney edge boards to use on the two rear facing gables and I completed the door gable. I just need to sort out the barge board on the lower left-hand side. The boards will stained black - eventually.

You can now see why the tiles overhang the wall by 70mm as they cover the waney edged wood quite nicely.

Also, the roof insulation arrived today.

Saturday, 9th June: I finished the barge board for the door gable first thing and inserted a length of soffit board (the horizontal board).


Next was to complete the kitchen gable. Again, this was covered with waney wood as the other existing gables on the house on the north side are finished this way.


In the afternoon we started on the main south gable which matched the garage. We didn't quite finish.


Sunday, 10th June: I finished the waney wood feature on the the south facing gable this morning. The wood will be painted black and I need to render over the block work and then paint it white.

Wednesday, 13th June: I used a number of small plates to hold mesh in the areas I need to render.

This makes the task rendering quite straight forward.



It didn't take too long to render the three panels. I'm not sure whether I will add a final slip coat - I'll see what it looks like as I don't want it too perfect!


I also took the opportunity to fill the gaps in the render of the old wall I had to cut away.


I also cut up some quarry tiles to use as the sill for the small window. These have been cemented in at a slight angle so that rain water will run away.


Saturday, July 7th: While waiting I I tiled the main window sill.



Sunday, 8th July:
I painted the south end gable to match the rest of the house.

Saturday, 21st July: I painted the wooden gable ends and added the guttering.


Sunday, 22nd July: After I painted the facia boards black I've now done the rain guttering.


I put brackets at either end with the one next to the drainpipe being lower by 15mm.

I made sure all the intermediate brackets were at the right heights by putting a length of string between the two end brackets and stretching it tight.

 


This shows the felt under the tiles feeding into the gutter.


The down pipe at the south end of the extension.


Tuesday, 24th July: This is the exhaust grill fitted in the outside soffit panel - also fixed today.

The panel just needs to be painted white at some stage.

The work never finishes...

 


Back to home