Home 
Planning the build
 
Why build an extension?
 
Initial design sketches
 
On-line Building Regs
 
Meeting planners
 Meeting building control
 Planning the foundations
 Planning the floor slab
 Marking out the footings
 Damp proof course issues
 Possible drainage problems?

 Construction of the walls
 Proposed roof structure
Windows diary
 Window challenges
 Initial window plans
 Making the casements
 Making the frame
 Designing leaded lights
 Making leaded lights
 Assembling the window
 The little window

 The door frame
Demolition diary
 The demolition starts!
 The demolition continues
 Still more demolition

Foundations diary
 Foundation issues
 Drain issues
 Digging the foundations
 Rethinking foundations!
 Pouring the foundations

Floor slab diary
 Rethinking the slab!
 Floor vent extensions
 Preparing the slab #1
 Preparing the slab #2
 Pouring the slab

Walls diary
 Preparing to build walls
 Build up to the DPC
 Build the walls #1
 Build the walls #2
 The gas men cometh
 Build the walls #3
 Finishing the walls
Roof diary
 Roof structure build
 Tiling the roof
 Finishing the roof
 Finishing the gables
 Roof insulation
 Guttering

Internals
 Floor screed
 Plumbing
 Electrics
 Shower room
 Shower room floors
 Shower room walls
 Utility room
 Utility room walls
 Utility room floor
 Finishing the windows

Project finished!
 Final inspection
 The certificate
 Final thoughts

 Twelve months on!
Out-takes!
 Mistakes
Costs
 Material costs
Links
 Links
Sister sites
 House re-roof project
 Home gas usage data

 Stop paint flaking
 DIY secondary glazing
 gare.co.uk

 


Still more demolition!
 
 

Friday, 6th April: The morning was spent clearing the big pile of rubble. If I had known there would be so much, I would have ordered a skip!

A serious mistake when you see the size of the pile at the end of this page!

I cleaned a lot of bricks as well so i should be able to use these in the below foundation brick levels.
As I had a bolster hammer on hire, I thought it would be worthwhile taking off the render on the house to just above the DPC layer. As this part of the house was built in the early 19th century you can see that they pour pitch on the bricks.

Even more interesting, you can clearly see the different colour of the damp bricks below the dpc level. It was clearly not a good idea to bridge the dpc with the render that was applied in 1932 when the house was extended.
I started digging out the steps which were full of soil and rubble.
Nearly cleared the area now, and you can see the main house drainage pipe coming from the house and entering the inspection chamber.

This is higher that I thought but it will probably be covered up with steps up to the door as it when outside.

It could certainly effect where I will have the dpc level in the extension and I may have to have a step in the floor.
Today was REALLY hard work. The first outcome is shown in the picture above.

The second outcome is a big pile of reclaimed bricks.
The third outcome is a big pile of rubble and soil.

I guess I'll need to order a skip after Easter.

Still nearly there now and getting nearer to digging the foundations.

Back to home